Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mmmm Apple Brownies

The air is getting colder, the leaves are starting to turn, it must be fall. One of my favorite things to do in this wonderful season is go apple picking. I love the concept of selecting my own fruit straight off the tree and nothing can beat the taste of a fresh, crisp apple. More often than not, however, I get overexcited when I go apple picking and I buy way more than I can eat while they are fresh. In breaking away from the usual, but delicious, apple pie, I make our family's recipe for apple brownies. This recipe comes from my great grandmother and she passed it down to us after she made it for years. While they are called brownies, they aren't like the usual chocolate sort that we know of. The original recipe is hard to read and the recipe card is stained and torn, but that adds to the fun and authenticity when we make them. The ingredients are as follows:


1 stick butter, melted
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 cups of apples, chopped into small pieces
1 cup of nuts (optional)


There are no further instructions from my great grandmother, to whom writing down recipes was unheard of. We were lucky just to get her to write down the list of ingredients! You combine the first 4 ingredients, then add the rest. Pour the batter into a greased 13x9 in pan and bake at 350 for around 40 minutes. The brownies will be very moist and they should cool completely before being removed from the pan, although eaten hot and gooey they are quite tasty! They are also delicious served with caramel sauce or vanilla ice cream. Hope you enjoy this tasty fall treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment